Q: When accelerating, car jerks back and forth - 1995 Chevrolet Beretta

When accelerating, my car jumps forward and then backwards. When I recently purchased my car used, the dealer told me that the only problem with it was that the air conditioning did not work. The test drive went very well, but after arriving home it started having the jumping feeling while accelerating. My brother told me that it was probably due to the fact that there was only ¼ tank of gasoline. He added gas to my car, but on the way home the shaking started again. After getting to work, I filled the tank to just over ½ full and it still had the shaking. It has the kind of feeling that if I tap the gas pedal, it will jerk back and forth. Is it safe for me to keep driving this car or is this something serious?

A: This is not a safe condition under which to...

This is not a safe condition under which to continue driving. If you have any warranty options with the dealer you purchased the car from, go back to the dealer, and seek satisfactory repairs that eliminate this condition. If that is not an option, have a professional mechanic, such as a certified technician from YourMechanic, diagnose the vehicles jerking issue to better understand what's wrong, and what possible repairs may be needed.