Q: Is it Necessary to Replace the Tensioner With the Timing Belt?

Is it necessary to replace the tensioner with the timing belt?

A: Automatic belt tensioners usually have a vi...

Automatic belt tensioners usually have a visible tension range indicator on the tensioner. When you install a new belt, check the tension indicator to verify that the arrow on the tensioner arm is pointing to the range on the tensioner base. If the tension indicator shows proper tension on the belt, no further service is necessary. However, if the tension indicator shows a belt that is below proper tension, a new tensioner must be installed.

If you’re not sure how to check your belt tensioner, or are unable to see the tensioner, the technicians at YourMechanic can check the components and replace the belt tensioner for you if necessary.