Q: Coolant is dripping on the floor between the engine and wheel shaft.

asked by on December 08, 2016

The car is dripping coolant from between the engine and the flywheel. I recorded a video if you wish to see.

Oil/Fluid Leak Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Coolant is leaking Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello, there are several possible sources of coolant which can leak to this position - coolant hose, freeze plug, cooling passage gasket, etc. I would recommend having a cooling system inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

There are number of possibilities that could be causing this. The intake could be leaking into the engine galley and running through a small hole that allows it to run through the bell housing, which is where your flywheel is housed. The galley is the area on top of the engine block between the heads. There is a small hole that allows coolant to run to the ground in the case of an intake manifold leak. Without this small hole, coolant would pool in there and cause more problems that already exist.

The worse possibilities are freeze plugs on the back of the heads or on the engine block in the bell housing. Freeze plugs are not fun to replace and are made even worse when they are located inside the bell housing because the motor or transmission or both will need to be removed to access it.

Also, there are hoses and a housing sitting above the bell housing. Any of these could be leaking and finding its way along the motor or transmission to the ground. Pressurizing the cooling system is the best method of locating a coolant leak. Using a cooling system pressurizer will apply the same pressure to the system as occurs with a fully warm motor. This will cause the leak to occur and give a technician time to locate the leak by using various means.

I recommend the following inspection to help you out. Coolant is leaking inspection

Good luck!