Q: 1ZZ-FE Comparison for Japan & USA

I have a Toyota Corolla Fielder S (RHD) with a 1ZZ-FE 1.8 engine. I want to know if the 1ZZ-FE 1.8 from Japan and the 1ZZ-FE 1.8 in the US are the same and can use the same parts ( Timing chain & tensioner, Head gasket, pistons, seals etc). I see that the Celica, Chevrolet and a few cars have the same (look like the same) engine. Saw a few rebuild kits on ebay will they work? Thanks Robert (Email: ext241@gmail.com)

The engine uses identical parts excepting that, from model to model and year to year, there were differences in the design of the exhaust manifold, intake manifold and ECU (PCM or ECM). You can input your VIN number at a Toyota parts website and if the number is recognized you will be able to cross reference to all vehicles that used a particular part of interest. The other possibility is to work from the original parts catalog that Toyota published for the vehicle. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.