Q: I need my timing belt replaced for my 2011 Chevy Aveo and I was wondering if it's also necessary to replace the water pump? Someon

asked by on April 03, 2017

Timing belt replacement. Nothing is wrong with it right now but it isn't supposed to be replaced every 100,000 miles. I want to know if it is also necessary to replace the water pump along with the timing belt for my specific car?

The timing belt should be changed at 100,000 miles. If the water pump is driven by the timing belt, the pump absolutely should be changed when you change the timing belt. Indeed, aftermarket timing belt kits include the water pump, along with the timing belt and components, inasmuch as changing the water pump is recommended. All rotating pulleys that the timing belt rides on should be changed as well (included in kits) because the grease in those pulleys dries out. If the water pump is NOT driven by the timing belt (some Aveo’s) there is no need to change the pump at this time as it can be accessed later without disturbing the timing belt. Dealer OEM parts are preferred but if you buy aftermarket parts use only a reputable name brand such as Gates. If you desire that the timing belt, components, and water pump be installed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request timing belt replacement and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.