Q: Q: Transmission problems

When the eco light is not on, the car occasionally bolts into 2nd gear. This afternoon, my wife turned on the car and it revved up so high that she had to turn it off. It happened a 2nd time, but the 3rd time she turned it on, it reacted normally. However, it would not go into Drive. She said that she forced it into Drive. I've been to the dealership and they can't find the problem. Can you help us!

The problems you are having may be due to a sticking throttle control, or possibly a transmission shifter control problem. These vehicles have an electronic throttle and if you try to push on the brakes and the throttle at the same time, the transmission will not allow the gear selector to be changed from Park.

Do not try and move the selector from Park if the idle does not come down; the vehicle may accelerate on its own and cannot be stopped.

If the problem continues, then have a mechanic come to your location to inspect your vehicle’s high engine idle speed and inability to shift from Park to Drive. They will verify the concern and recommend the best path to repair. Any good mechanic will not guess on a failure if the problem cannot be verified.

3. Q: Transmission problems