Q: My Jeep stalls when I let it get below half a tank. Any ideas as to what the issue may be?

My 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 has been stalling out for the last couple of months. It only does it when my gas tank is reading half a tank or lower. Thought it might have been the fuel filter. Changed it. Still same issue. I waited a couple of weeks and checked the filter again for debris. It's clean. I've done some research on the gas tanks and apparently the 93' - 97 had faulty inner liners and we're discontinued. I was going to swap it out. See if it fixed it. Problem is, I can't find another tank because the original part number was discontinued and I can't find the new one. I was wondering if you had any ideas on what the actual problem may be, or the new part number? I imagine I should change the pump at the same time?? The jeep runs great otherwise. The transmission was rebuilt 100000 ago. Previous owner used it on the interstate mostly for work.

A: Hi there. I would believe, if the fuel tank...

Hi there. I would believe, if the fuel tank inner liner was the issue, the stalling would occur at any fuel level. The dealer should be able to identify, any revisions to the fuel tank part number. It may be, the fuel gauge sending unit is inaccurate and your fuel tank is actually nearer to empty than you might think.

Average MPG times the fuel tank capacity may help discern this possibility. Given the stalling only occurs with a fuel tank level half or below, rules out a possible IAC (idle air control) valve causing the engine stall. Assuming, the Check Engine Light is not coming on, leads me to believe the ECM (Engine Control Module) is not recognizing the fault.

To isolate the issue, I recommend having your vehicle’s stalling issue diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.