Q: My instrument cluster is not working properly! Help!

All of the gauges on my cluster are not working as they should in my 2003 Chevy Cavalier. The fuel and temperature gauges do not work at all, and the speedometer and RPM gauge work when they feel like it, oftentimes sticking or just not working at all. All of the warning lights seem to work just fine. How do I figure out if this is an electrical issue or an issue with the cluster itself? If I can avoid a pricey repair and fix this at home by disconnecting and reconnecting certain cables or something of that nature, please let me know. I'm afraid I'll get a speeding ticket or worse. Thanks!

A: Check that all fuses are good. You can try ...

Check that all fuses are good. You can try removing the electrical connector on the back of the instrument cluster and plugging it back in. Odds are, the amplifier inside the gauge cluster has failed of has poor connection. It would have to be disassembled and repaired or replaced. If you want this taken care of, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose your electrical issue and assist you with appropriate repairs.