Q: Mustang has been sitting for a few years.

asked by on March 03, 2017

Hi there, my Mustang has been sitting for a few years now. I put in a new battery and tried to start it and it does choke but has not started yet. I read online that I need to get that old gas out tried to siphon it but nothing came out. The end of the hose was not even wet with old gas, it almost felt like it had hardened in there. Someone told me to use methyl-hydrate which I have not done yet. Can you help me with anything that I may try to get it started? Or do you think it is wast of time and will not work? Oh yeah, I know nothing about cars except I love driving them.

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

I recommend flushing out your fuel system with fresh gasoline and a container of methyl-hydrate. Old gas will not harden in a fuel tank unless it is more than 20 years old. You will need to remove the fuel line from the fuel rail on the engine and turn on the key with the line in a bucket or container to collect the fuel. This will pump out the fuel from the lines. You will need to remove and replace the inline fuel filter. Then once the fuel is clean and coming out with a good strong smell and clear, then the line could be reconnected back up. Then you will need to remove and replace the spark plugs as old fuel can corrode the ends of a spark plug. Then crank the engine and the engine should start up. Keep the starter engaged until the engine is fully started when the engine is wanting to start up, but do not let is run for more than 45 seconds at a time or the starter will burn up. If you need further assistance with getting your old fuel out and starting up your engine, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.