Q: Toyota Camry battery light and ABS light came on while driving. 10 minutes later made it home and cut off the car 20 minutes later

asked by on September 29, 2017

While driving ABS light and battery light came on the radio went out for a couple of minutes. Got home 10 minutes later , tried to crank the car 30 minutes later it wouldn't crank, got a jump and let it run for 30 minutes then I tried to drive it but when I press the gas it would accelerate (no higher than 1000 or 2000 rpm) check engine light came on after getting a jump.

Alternator Replacement $151.62 - $1237.14 Get a Quote

It sounds like you may have a weak battery, a failing voltage regulator or failing alternator. When the battery is very weak, this may inadvertently cause other warning lights to come on, such as the ABS light as a result of low battery voltage. As you may know, the alternator charges the battery while the engine runs by generating amperage and recharging the battery while the engine turns the alternator pulley. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator and maintaining a certain amperage while the engine runs. When the alternator is not working properly, this may result in the battery quickly losing charge and the car losing all power. You may also notice a whining sound as a result of the bearings inside the alternator begin to fail. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your charging system.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr