Q: Service stability light comes on too many times a day

asked by on May 17, 2016

I have 138,000 miles on my car and the service stability light keeps coming on. It does go out at times, but when it comes on my car bolts and it's very frightening. It feels like it's going to take off racing. Can you help me?

I would need a little bit more information to answer this question fully.

When you say the car bolts, I’m assuming that means that the car accelerates without input from you. If this is occurring, it sounds like there may be a problem with the throttle body. Cars with this milage can get a buildup of carbon in the intake causing the throttle plate to become stuck open.

The vehicle should not be driven if it has unintended acceleration issues until repairs have been performed. A qualified technician like the ones at YourMechanic will be able to diagnose this warning light issue and perform any repairs required at your home or place of business, which may include cleaning the carbon from the throttle body.