Q: Replacing the water pump using and using a gasket sealer

When replacing a water pump--should you use a gasket sealer if the pump comes with a gasket?

A: What you want to do is get a good sealer (s...

What you want to do is get a good sealer (silicon or any other type) and put it on a gasket on the inside. Then you put the gasket on a pump. Then let it sit for a half an hour or 40 minutes and when it is sort of dry, then you can bolt it onto the vehicle. Make sure that you clean the engine surface really well.

Buff it off really clean so there is nothing there. If it is really goofy, get some carburetor cleaner and spray it on and then rub all the stuff off so it's bare metal. You can do it that way. You don't need sealer on the pump gasket if you already put the sealer onto the pump. The gasket is good enough on the engine, you don't need to put sealer on that. It's a good idea to put it on the pump. Then it stays in place and doesn't move. It's sealed good against the pump. If you need help replacing the water pump, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your location and perform this service for you.