Q: Car stopped moving suddenly, gears stuck

Several days ago I was driving the car and it stopped moving out of the blue. After that, I managed to start it up and drive it, but only briefly for about half a mile because it soon stopped moving again. The gears were sort of stuck and couldn't be shifted at all. I once again tried to restart it, but it did the same thing. I drove briefly and it stopped. When the gas pedal is applied, it works fine and the RPMs increase normally. The car however, remains motionless. When these issues occur, the front end of the car is shaking considerably. Then, if I accelerate, it would manage to gather some speed for a while but soon quit moving yet again. So, the car can be started, the gas pedal works, idles fine and the gears can be changed but after about a mile and a half, it remains motionless. What could be the problem? Is my transmission going out?

A: Hello there. This type of fault is not unco...

Hello there. This type of fault is not uncommon. There are a few different faults that would cause this on your 2000 Cadillac Catera, but since the engine runs properly the fault most likely lies with the transmission in some way. Most common causes would be low transmission fluid level, transmission linkage issues, torque converter, shift solenoid, or a mechanical transmission issue. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose your stalling issue and perform any repairs required.