Q: Steering wheel is hard to turn

Yesterday my car (2008 Rav4) battery light came on, and today I was driving and I noticed VSC light, ABS light, brake light and traction control light came on. Apart from those the steering wheel was really hard to move. Today the car even did not start. It seems the alternator does not work properly. I wonder if anybody has any idea about this issue??

Thank you

Hello and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. The alternator can be working just fine, but before you rule out the possibility that you have a burned up alternator, since you have had the VSC light on, then there is a different issue with your vehicle. The power steering in your vehicle among other Toyota vehicles have an electronic driven power steering module. This module is referred as the Electronic Assist Power Steering (EPS) and it has failed. To get to the EPS, you will need to remove the steering wheel, airbag, and steering column. Replacing the EPS will fix the issue you are experiencing. If you would like to have a mechanic look at this in person, then seek out a technician, such as one from Your Mechanic, that can diagnose the steering problem and guide you through needed repairs.

3. Steering wheel is hard to turn