Q: Steering wheel Issues - 2001 Hyundai Elantra

When in cold weather I notice my steering wheel becomes very stiff and hard to move. It also squeaks when turning. I'm afraid to move it to much thinking that something may break due to the stiffness. It only does it when winter comes but and hot weather I do not have that feeling. Does something needs oil oiled or changed?

A: This problem is most likely caused by worn ...

This problem is most likely caused by worn strut bearings. This component supports the weight of the vehicle at each front wheel, but also has to allowing turning of the wheels. When worn, the bearings tend to make noises when turning, and are more difficult to turn, especially at colder temperatures.

There is a Technical Service Bulletin (105219) relating to groaning and grinding noises from the front suspension. This is not a recall however, and not likely a free replacement.

To avoid any unnecessary repairs, I would recommend having the steering wheels stiffness inspected by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to confirm this diagnosis, get an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.