Q: check engine light is on and gas light is flashing on my 1998 s420 mercedes Benz

asked by on September 10, 2017

while driving my gas gauge light starts flashing after driving car for 30mins,or more and my check engine light is on. when i turn the car off and restart it 30 mins later the gas gauge light begins flashing on and off again do you know what may be causing this problem

Hi Jesse. Thanks for contacting us today. In most cases, a faulty gas cap or one that is not screwed on tight will cause the gas light and check engine light to illuminate. it’s also possible that one of the EVAP system components is damaged, such as a full canister or purge valve solenoid that is not working correctly. I would start by double checking your gas cap, to make sure it’s tight to see if this resolves the problem. If not, please have a professional mechanic complete a warning light inspection, so they can determine the source of this problem and recommend the right repairs.