Q: Clutch issues 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse

Hi, my dad does my work, he is ase certified but hasn't worked professionally in over 30 years, just works on family cars. Ok, I thought my input shaft bearing was going out because it's noisy and stops making the noise when clutch is disengaged. Had dad replace it, but turns out it wasn't bad, went ahead replaced clutch and output bearing. So, basically found nothing wrong, put car back together. Started having to depress clutch pedal pretty far to disengage clutch, but drives fine in all gears, just lot of effort to disengage clutch. Tried replacing master and slave cylinders. Still hard and progressively getting less of clutch. Now cant get into gear when running, can when cars off. Adjusted pedal, made sure the little button is getting pushed in that the pedal hits. No leaks, Im stumped. If I let it grind and get her into reverse ( which seems easier than first) it immediately dies. Thank you for your help, jennifer

Clutch is not fully disengaging Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there - it sounds to me like your pilot bearing is seizing. When it starts to seize, it does not allow the transmission input shaft to stop rotating while the engine continues to turn. For the driver, this would appear to be a dragging clutch, causing grinding when you try to put it in gear 9or change gears). It can happen gradually as well as a sudden seizure. Although an inexpensive bearing, unfortunately, this will require disassembly of the clutch to replace. I would recommend a clutch system inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.