Q: Transmission clicks and jump while shifting in stop and go traffic

asked by on May 24, 2016

My car has transmission issues. It has gone around 120,000 miles. It runs fine when I am driving at steady speeds but in the traffic with a lot of stop and go, the transmission just clicks. It jumps when shifting into gears when I stop and accelerate. It dies out. Has my transmission gone out? Do I need to replace it and which one should I choose?

Car is hard to shift Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello. This vehicle has a history of transmission problems. Most of the time it is because the second gear band fractures. When this occurs, it has trouble holding several gears properly and causing shifting issues. It may also be caused by a failure in the shift solenoids.

I typically start by checking to see if there are any codes in the computer pertaining to this. It can also be caused by a sensor such as an air flow sensor, but that is not nearly as common. If you plan on having the vehicle repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your transmission issue and verify what needs repair.