Trying to remove the 2 upper bolts on my rear shocks that...

Q: Trying to remove the 2 upper bolts on my rear shocks that are rusted and stripped 2000 Ford Explorer

asked by on December 07, 2016

I recently tried to replece my rear shocks and quickly discovered that the 2 top bolts that attachg the shocks to the frame are completely stripped and very rusted, which was expected to some degree since i live in michigan, there isnt enough room between the frame and the body to hammer on a specialized socket or to weld a new nut on the old one to try to get it off, with limited room im running out of options. Also the bolts run up from the bottom of the frame and the nut is screwed in from the top between the frame and the body

Hi - time to get creative - cutoff wheel, sawzall, cutting torch. Sometime, it is even necessary to cut an access hole in the panel that blocks your access, make your repair, then re-weld the panel you had to cut out for access. Spray liberally with etching primer to slow down the rust issues. Nasty task, but it comes to all of us sooner or later. Good luck with this!