Q: All rotors warped - 2009 Kia Borrego

asked by on September 21, 2016

All four rotors on my SUV are warped. There are no other problems, except for that. The brake pads and the disc are in good order. I researched about warped rotors and found that bad brake pads are usually the cause. While reading in forums, I found other drivers with this same problem in this make/model. The dealership told me that ‘heat’ had caused all four rotors to warp at the same time. That not only sounds wrong, but doesn’t make sense. I live in a hot climate and if that were the cause of warped rotors, there would be thousands of drivers taking their cars in for rotor replacements every 18 months. Can you tell me what is causing the rotors to warp like this?

The braking system must be checked over a little more closely. Warped brake rotors can also be caused by malfunctioning brake calipers that are not releasing a they should. This can be caused by the caliper itself or a blockage in the flexible hose. If the rotors were machined at the last service, consider installing new ones with new brake pads and all new hardware. If you would like a second opinion, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to inspect your vehicles braking system.