Q: I have a 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser turbo. The car starts right up, but after a few seconds starts to lose power and want to die unt

I have a 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser turbo. The car starts right up, but after a few seconds starts to lose power and want to die until i give it gas a few times, then it is fine. Today when I went to start my car, nothing-no power, no dash lights, no clicks when turning key. Battery is new, just replaced o2 sensors, radiator, serpentine belts. Any thoughts?

It is not clear if the poor engine operation you were experiencing is somehow linked to the present no start condition. In any event, before the engine can be diagnosed, it has to be running and so that is the first order of business. Although the battery is "new", if the charging system is not working properly, the battery could have slowly discharged. Therefore, the present state of charge of the battery should be determined. If, by chance, the battery is discharged fully charge it and see if the car will start and run. If the battery is fully charged and yet the starter motor won’t engage, there is likely to be some kind of electrical problem. Basically, with a fully charged battery in good condition, and the immobilizer (security) system off - check to be sure the immobilizer is not activated - if the starter motor does not operate at that point, there are only two possibilities: 1) either there is no power to the starter motor/solenoid, or an excessive voltage drop, hence the entire starter circuit would have to be diagnosed; or 2) there is power but the starter/solenoid itself is bad and that includes intermittent operation which does happen. If you desire that a specialist from YourMechanic determine which of these is the issue, and get it resolved, please request a no start diagnostic. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. I have a 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser turbo. The car starts right up, but after a few seconds starts to lose power and want to die unt