Q: Engine coolant leak - 2000 GMC Savana 3500

Glycol leak coming from shield pan that covers large gear of transmission behind oil pan and filter. Oil looks good and oil level. Transmission fluid also good. No transmission fluid in radiator. Top of engine dry no leaking hoses. Just changed oil and oil filter, air filter. Any ideas where it could be coming from? Thank you

A: Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. ...

Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. Looks like the coolant is coming from the rear freeze plug on the back of the engine. For this issue, I would recommend putting coolant dye in the cooling system and run the engine for a couple of hours, then check for coolant leaks with a black light and yellow glasses. This will make the coolant stand out really bright and you will be able to see exactly where it is leaking from.

If you need further assistance diagnosing your vehicle, then seek out a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, to help you with pinpointing your coolant leak.