Q: Check Engine Light comes on after starting pickup

On a recurring basis, the check engine light comes on when I start my pickup and it stays on for around 30 seconds. When I give the engine some gas, the check engine light goes out. When I release the throttle for about another 30 seconds, then the check engine light comes back on. I drove about 10 minutes and then stopped and let the truck idle before turning it off. After several minutes, the check engine light did not come on. There is no sputtering and no strange noises when I give the engine more gas. In addition, this is an OBD1 code and the auto parts store will not read it. What can you tell me about this problem and how to fix it?

Hello there, thank you for asking about your 1992 Isuzu Pickup. A professional will have the correct equipment to read OBD1 codes. Retrieving the diagnostic trouble code(s) is the first place to start when diagnosing your vehicle. Increasing RPMs changes engine load, which can in turn affect many different sensors and components, causing the Check Engine Light to illuminate. The only way to narrow down the options and find the culprit is through in person diagnosis with an OEM compatible scan tool. A certified technician from YourMechanic can retrieve the OBD codes at your home or office.

3. Check Engine Light comes on after starting pickup