Q: What is making the clunking feeling? 2013 Dodge Avenger

asked by on February 28, 2017

When the engine is warmed up after driving for about an hour or so, I can feel a clunk. It seems to come from the front driver side wheel area. I can hear it and also feel it in the steering wheel. Today is a very warm day and it seemed to do it very quickly when I got in to drive. We have brought it in to check the alignment. Everything was fine. Also brought it to the dealership but they couldn't find the problem.

Hello - since you can feel this "clunk" through the steering wheel, this narrows the possibilities to steering and suspension-related. This could be a control arm bushing, ball joint, tie rod, damaged strut or other front suspension component that is affected by engine torque (since this is a front-wheel drive vehicle). There is a Dodge Technical Service Bulletin (#369823) that MAY apply to this problem. Check with your Dodge service center to discuss. Otherwise, for further diagnostic help, I recommend a suspension noise inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.