Q: What is making the clunking feeling? 2013 Dodge Avenger

asked by on February 28, 2017

When the engine is warmed up after driving for about an hour or so, I can feel a clunk. It seems to come from the front driver side wheel area. I can hear it and also feel it in the steering wheel. Today is a very warm day and it seemed to do it very quickly when I got in to drive. We have brought it in to check the alignment. Everything was fine. Also brought it to the dealership but they couldn't find the problem.

Clunking noise when I drive over bumps Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello - since you can feel this "clunk" through the steering wheel, this narrows the possibilities to steering and suspension-related. This could be a control arm bushing, ball joint, tie rod, damaged strut or other front suspension component that is affected by engine torque (since this is a front-wheel drive vehicle). There is a Dodge Technical Service Bulletin (#369823) that MAY apply to this problem. Check with your Dodge service center to discuss. Otherwise, for further diagnostic help, I recommend a suspension noise inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.