Q: How should my tires be rotated?

How should my tires be rotated?

A: Tire rotation is an important maintenance s...

Tire rotation is an important maintenance step. It helps to ensure that all four tires wear evenly. It should be done at roughly every other oil change, although your frequency may vary. You also need to follow a specific pattern.

Honda recommends a modified X rotation pattern for most cars. In this instance, the two rear wheels cross and move to the front (driver rear to passenger front and passenger rear to driver front). The two front wheels move straight back.

However, if you have directional tires, they cannot change sides. In this instance, you can only do a front to back rotation.

Tip

Directional tires must stay on the side of the car indicated by the directional arrow on the sidewall or they can fail. They’re only designed to be used in one direction.