Q: Subaru P01443 code on a 2004 Impreza TS. I replaced the Evap control selonid and am still having trouble fueling. What could it be?

asked by on July 07, 2017

2004 Impreza TS. Been throwing the P01443 code along with P0420. I have aftermarket headers on my car so the P0420 is most likely nothing. However , the other code, P01443 has been giving me some issues . I replaced the part that code indicates, the control valve selonoid. However my car still has a problem starting after I refuel . I have to really give it a decent amount throttle to get to turn over , then I'll have to throw it into first and dump the clutch to keep it running like you would a motorcycle . After about 30 seconds of driving after refueling the car will idle fine and will start up first try . However it is a hassle , I feel like I'm doing damage to my starter and clutch. and having to rev my car to 4 grand at the gas station with a full performance exhaust usually gets me some funny looks and complaints from the owners of the gas stations . Ahah, at this point I'm just looking for some advice before I start throwing parts at it . Clogged vacuum lines? Purge valve? Thx.

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hello. From what you are explaining it does sound like a purge valve or something else in the EVAP system is not closing properly after fueling. When this occur it causes a vacuum leak and can cause excessive amounts of fuel vapors to enter the engine. I would usually do a smoke test to find where this is occurring. If you need to get this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [diagnose why the check engine light is on and this is occurring] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/check-engine-light-is-on-inspection

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr