Q: How do you improve the fuel economy?

asked by on December 14, 2015

How do you improve the fuel economy?

The amount you have to shell out at the pump can be staggering, particularly if your car is a daily driver. Knowing how to improve your fuel economy will cut down on the shock to your bank account. Here are some important tips direct from Nissan:

1. Don’t hit the gas pedal too hard. Accelerate smoothly and slowly.

2. Avoid hitting the brakes hard and suddenly. Come to a stop smoothly and begin braking early.

3. Don’t drive at speeds much in excess of the speed limit (higher speeds require extra fuel).

4. If you drive a stick, shift to higher gears as soon as possible.

5. Make sure to keep an eye on your tire pressure (air pressure has a direct impact on fuel economy).

6. Use the air conditioner sparingly (it puts an additional load on the engine, which uses extra gas).

7. Use the air conditioner at highway speeds, but roll the windows down below highway speeds.

8. Make sure to use the right oil weight for the engine (heavier weights reduce fuel economy).

9. Don’t idle the engine more than necessary.

10. Make sure to keep up with vehicle maintenance.

11. Have your alignment checked regularly.