Q: Fail safe cooling system ford focus 2002

I have Ford focus 2002 hatchback 1.6L and noticed that the fail safe cooling system indicator light was activated today on 2 different occasions and went off on its own. The problem is that there is no overheating at this point as the temperature gauge is pointing in the middle of both the extremes(normal operating temp). I checked the radiator coolant and it's not moved from the normal level point. No check engine light illuminates at any time. No leakage around. Is there any other cause of this? Car diagnostic kit doesn't pick any fault codes either. I am confused and hope it doesn't stall in traffic. Thanks

Either the engine temperature at the instant the warning light illuminates is indeed out of range (high) or the temperature reporting system (the fail safe function) is malfunctioning. It is is possible to use a real time automotive scanner to view actual engine operating temperature data and gain some insight into what is going on. "Normally" when that indicator light comes on the dash temperature gauge will, at the same time, move into the red (overheat) area. It is possible that you do have a problem in the cooling system but the effect so far is marginal, that is you have some degree of overheating but it is not (yet) severe enough to cause the light to stay on and the gauge to move into the red area. If another instance of this occurs, the best thing to do is request an engine overheating diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Fail safe cooling system ford focus 2002