Q: My brakes stutter sometimes - 2007 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Classic

asked by on October 26, 2016

Recently my brakes will kinda lock up when coming to a slow stop but it doesn't do it every time and sometimes when I'm slowing down it will just stop quick. My abs light and brake light came on once but hasn't come on since and they don't come on when it's acting up either

As you may know, your car is equipped with wheel speed sensors at each of the four wheels. These monitor wheel speed while relaying this information constantly to the ABS and traction control system, which are controlled by the car’s ECU. When the ECU senses an abnormal speed given specific conditions, it engages the ABS or traction control as needed to control the vehicle properly and safely.

Occasionally, these sensors can fail or become faulty, working intermittently and sending inaccurate signals to the ECU. When this happens, your brakes may be prematurely engaged or cause this kind of intermittent braking you describe. The ABS or traction control system may be inadvertently activated by these false or inaccurate signals.

I would suggest having a professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your home to inspect your brake system, find the source of the problem, and suggest any needed repairs.