Q: Oil leak around serpentine belt pulleys

I had my serpentine belt replaced 2 weeks ago. I had a long drive about a week ago. I just found out about the oil leak yesterday when I saw a lot of oil in my garage. The brand new belt was torn on the edge with some belt debris found. What could be the cause of oil leak? And from where? Thanks.

Hi, thanks for writing in. The most likely cause of your oil leak is due to the valve cover gasket leaking, causing oil to get on the belts. There also could be oil leaking from the oil filter housing as well causing the same problem. Also, keep in mind that the power steering fluid maybe leaking from the power steering pump and that fluid is getting on your belt too. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose the leak for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.

3. Oil leak around serpentine belt pulleys