Q: Car stuttering when starting, dying while driving

For a few weeks, my car has been stuttering and sputtering when I'm starting it. Yesterday, it just stopped for no reason. When I restarted it, it ran for a couple miles, then stopped. I restarted it again, drove a few hundred yards, and it died again.

I have tried changing the fuel filter. A little bit of fuel seems to be coming through in a trickle. There is no black smoke coming out the exhaust pipe. The key is not catching in the ignition. Would the high pressure fuel pump be causing this? Any other ideas?

A faulty high pressure fuel pump is just one of many potential causes. It could be anything from that to a plugged catalytic converter.

The first step is to retrieve the diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) which serve as a starting point for the inspection process. I suggest you have a trained professional inspect your sputtering issue and recommend the best path to repair. The team at YourMechanic is an excellent option since we make house calls.