Q: Car stuttering when starting, dying while driving

For a few weeks, my car has been stuttering and sputtering when I'm starting it. Yesterday, it just stopped for no reason. When I restarted it, it ran for a couple miles, then stopped. I restarted it again, drove a few hundred yards, and it died again.

I have tried changing the fuel filter. A little bit of fuel seems to be coming through in a trickle. There is no black smoke coming out the exhaust pipe. The key is not catching in the ignition. Would the high pressure fuel pump be causing this? Any other ideas?

A faulty high pressure fuel pump is just one of many potential causes. It could be anything from that to a plugged catalytic converter.

The first step is to retrieve the diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) which serve as a starting point for the inspection process. I suggest you have a trained professional inspect your sputtering issue and recommend the best path to repair. The team at YourMechanic is an excellent option since we make house calls.

3. Car stuttering when starting, dying while driving