Q: My oil gets extremely low but my oil light does not come on. What part would regulate this?

I have been nearly dry on oil twice to where the car is making noises, but the oil light does not come on. What part should I replace to make the light come on when oil is getting low?

Thank You!

A: Hello, thanks for writing in. There is no s...

Hello, thanks for writing in. There is no sensor on your Chrysler for oil level. The "oil light" (or oil can symbol) on your instrument cluster indicates when the engine has less than roughly 5 psi of oil pressure (this is usually just an indication that you will soon write a large check for a new engine). This is why it is still important to check your oil every week or two.

Does the oil light/symbol illuminate when you turn the ignition key to the "Run" position before starting? It should, then go out when the engine is started. If it does not - that means the indicator circuit is not working properly - which could be the oil pressure sensor, the wiring for the circuit, or the bulb for this function in the instrument cluster. An engine will run on very little oil before lighting the oil pressure warning light - but, as you note, it is doing damage while this is happening.

If you'd like to get this fixed, have a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location and diagnose your low oil condition for an accurate repair.