Q: Bought a car on Ebay, car runs kind of rough and there is a strong smell of gas

asked by on April 13, 2017

The cars runs and drives, and by all means I wasn't expecting perfection. My main concern is the engine. There is a very noticeable ticking noise when the engine is running. Also the engine runs a bit rough at idle about 900 RPMs. It could be very well just how a 40 year old car runs. Exhaust is visible and white in color and exhaust fumes are very noticeable.

The ticking noise is from the valve train. Exhaust from any car of that vintage, no matter how well tuned, is going to be very noticeable and remarkably worse than a modern car. As far as the rough idle, compression can be tested to determine if a variance from cylinder to cylinder is an issue and ignition timing and advance should be checked as well. There is also a possibility that the carburetor needs to be adjusted or possibly rebuilt and I would check for vacuum leaks given the age. If you request a rough idle diagnostic the responding certified mechanic will evaluate all the foregoing. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.