Q: Can I replace the ball joints on just one side, or should it be done one both sides?

asked by on October 23, 2016

I need the ball joints changed on one side of my vehicle but have been told to do both sides. Do I have to have them both done at the same time?

If you change the ball joints due to wear on one side of the vehicle, then the other side will likely go bad in a short time. After replacing the ball joints on one or both sides you will need to get an alignment done. If you only replace one side, get the alignment done, and need to replace the other side in a month, another alignment will need to be done. I would recommend replacing both sides at the same time so only one alignment needs to be done and you have the peace of mind that your front ball joints will be good for a long time. If you need help with this replacement, YourMechanic can dispatch a certified technician to your location.