Q: Starter not engaging at all but passed bench test

asked by on August 09, 2017

My civic starter wont engage the flywheel I have checked voltage to my terminals it is all source voltage new battery flywheel is good bench tested starter they said it was fine but checked case ground it is good good grounds on all grounds starter. I hear Starter motor spins so I dont have an open in ignition switch or Relay or Fuse or Clutch Interlock switch checked continuty anyways to make sure voltage is good flywheel is good no missing or damged teeth bendix from starter just wont engage. I think Im going to replace it is 170000 OEM starter

You will need to check the voltage at the starter when someone is cranking it to make sure cables are sending all the voltage to it. You can do a voltage drop on the cables to see if one is bad or its connections are bad. Check ground at body and to engine and then positive cable for voltage drop. If both cables and connections are good then replace starter. If you need help doing the tests then contact a mechanic like one from YourMechanic to do the tests for you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr