Q: Will a home code reader/scanner let me fix my car?

Can I fix my car with a home code reader/scanner?

Aftermarket code readers and scanners cannot, by themselves, be used to fix your car. The scanner is used to retrieve diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) from the various control modules on the vehicle. After using your scanner to retrieve DTCs, you must compare these codes to a DTC index to find the appropriate series of tests that are used to diagnose the system. These readers only helps allow you to pinpoint faulty components. The repairs themselves are done separately.

To fix your car, will you need access to the diagnostic tests as well as the necessary testing equipment. Having a home reader, however, may allow you to clear a malfunction indicator lamp (MIL).

3. Will a home code reader/scanner let me fix my car?