Q: Whining noise when starting and rattling while first driving

About a year or so ago, my vehicle started to make this whining sound when I first start it. I took it to a shop and they diagnosed it with belt and tensioner. Upon replacing the tensioner the sound continued. Over time the sound has gotten worse. Starting the vehicle first thing in the morning gives a very loud screech continued with the whining. As I pull out it sounds like a mild whining or rattle for about a minute. I've noticed that starting the vehicle seems like it starts with a high idle for a second from turning the ignition. There are no stiff issues with my power steering but once in a while i hear a very faint hum split up by a few seconds while idling. Only once when starting the vehicle I turned the steering wheel to the left and then to the right. Both directions it made a loud grinding sound. Never again after that. An associate told me to put powersteering lucas in it. It doesn't seem like the fluid has gotten low after that. Gas mileage is bad.

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. The whining and ...

Hi, thanks for writing in. The whining and grinding sound when turning the steering wheel suggests a weak or failing power steering pump. This can happen when the pump is low on fluid causing it burn up or can happen when the power steering rack forces too much pressure through it as a result of the fluid not flowing freely through small reed valves in the rack. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home or office to confirm a diagnosis on the issue and make or suggest the necessary repairs or replacements.