Q: Starting, only clicks

I just bought this truck. It clicks but won't start. I've replaced everything that you would expect it to be from the battery to the starter. I thought it was a bad ground and still do but idk where to look. The engine wasn't grounded so I did that. The cables I took off it all where fryed. For sure a short somewhere. It's a 72 can't be much. The wires on each side of the solenoid get really hot after you turn the key 3 times. All I get is a click. Any ideas???

A: The first to do is to make sure the engine ...

The first to do is to make sure the engine turns by putting a socket and breaker bar on the crankshaft pulley bolt and turning the motor. If the motor turns, then you know it is in the wiring. Follow the battery ground from the battery to the engine and the engine to the body and frame. All the connections should be of a large cable and be tight at each location. Then you can see if you have a good power wire from the battery to the solenoid on the inner fender and the other side will go straight to the starter. If all these cables and connections are good and the engine turns then it should crank. If you want to have the starting issue diagnosed, an expert mechanic from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to pinpoint the issue and make the needed repair.