Q: Hard steering while driving

asked by on February 11, 2018

I'll be driving my car and the steering becomes tight and I loose all rpm. I turn it off and turn it back on and its instantly good to go. What's the main reason for this so I know what to expect at the shop so I know their not just ripping me off?

If you are losing engine RPM, that itself will cause loss of steering assist, but in that scenario the engine has a stalling, or loss of power, problem. The potential causes in that scenario are quite varied and numerous. If the engine remains running though, at normal speed, and the steering becomes difficult, that could be due to inadequate power steering fluid, a loose drive belt, a faulty pump, restrictions in the pump circuit and so forth. If you want the fault pinpointed, please simply request service and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you and right at your location, too. If you have any further questions at all regarding this service, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.