Q: Car overheating 2006 Infiniti M35

asked by on March 16, 2017

I've recently taken my car out of town. While driving the car temp gauge remains at a constant(right below half) but when in idle the car over heats. The coolant then leaves the radiator and goes the the reservoir tank and stays there until I letbthe car sit for some time. The fans work and I don't see any apparent leaks. I've heard that it could be the radiator cap itself or that I need to bleed the radiator system. Wanted to get a professional opinion. Thanks

Car is overheating Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hello - the fact that your car maintains a steady temperature near design temp (center of the gauge), suggests the thermostat is working properly. Overheating while idling or at low speeds is usually a problem with a clogged radiator, faulty cooling fan clutch (engine-driven fan), inadequate flow from the water pump, or the cooling fan switch isn’t turning on the auxiliary fan soon enough. I recommend an overheating inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr