Q: Was told mount broke off..and need to replace 3 to secure transmussion..also that bed housing could be damaged

asked by on November 30, 2016

I was told I must of hit a curb hard..that mount broke off and is stuck..and need 2 other mount to secure transmission. Also I might of damaged bed housing that would cost me another $2100

What you are describing is possible. Vehicle components can only withstand so much force and beyond that they will break. As far as the bell housing of the transmission, if that housing is cracked, replacing that is a fairly significant (but not impossible, of course) undertaking. "Sometimes" minor cracks can be tolerated, it just depends on what exactly is cracked, where it is and what the consequences would be, in terms of safety, if the crack were to propagate, whether slowly or suddenly. In terms of getting your vehicle repaired, the controlling factor really is the bell housing, due to the cost. The motor mounts are not exorbitant in terms of cost to repair but obviously, there is no point in repairing the mounts if it turns out the cost to repair the bell housing is "too much" and of course if indeed it turns out that it must be repaired for safety reasons. You might want to get a second opinion on the bell housing for two reasons: 1) to see if the repair is essential (it very well could be; the probabilities are not in your favor); but 2) if indeed it must be repaired, it might be more economically doable if you allow a certified Mechanic from YourMechanic to do it, due to the cost savings. I recommend you request an inspection with YourMechanic to get a second, perhaps more complete evaluation of the damage to your vehicle. You can schedule it via the YourMechanic website and it would be likely be charged as a diagnostic. Any other questions or concerns, by all means please let us know.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr