Q: Car stopped suddenly and won't start again, makes the noise to start but won't fire up

Car has been runningbeados crystal designer studio fine until this morning when it stopped and won't start again, makes the right noise to start but won't fire up. Tried jump starting the battery but nothing. The guy from the breakdown cover said it could be the timing chain, also he noticed the engine oil was leaking into his truck. Been told it's most probably a big job, maybe needs a new engine? Only bought the car one month ago, don't know what to do.

Hello. If the engine will not even crank over then I usually start by trying to crank the engine over by hand. If it cannot be turned then there is a serious engine problem and the engine has failed. It is common for the timing chains to fail on this engine. At one point Mini was even changing them for free. It can also be a bad sensor or a failure in the fuel pump so further testing will need to be done with a compression test also. The fact that the engine does not turn will be the first spot to diagnose as that can even be caused by a bad battery. If you need help having this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the stalling issue and have it corrected properly.

• Car stopped suddenly and won't start again, makes the noise to start but won't fire up