Q: TICKING NOISE FROM ENGINE

asked by on March 08, 2017

Dear Yourmechanic.com,

Dodge grand caravan 2012 sxt engine ticking noise when idle and lower speeds(As soon as i reach to 40 mph the engine does not have any ticking sound. I brought it to the dealer and they said that there is a loud ticking noise coming from second cylinder and another one from the other side. Chrysler has an extended warranty(up to 150,000k) on the second cylinder but unfortunately they want $725.00 to tear down the engine and make sure is the second cylinder. If it ends up being something else I will have to pay out of pocket for the teardown and any other repairs that the minivan may need. The minivan has 135,000 miles right now and it continues to drive. Any suggestions? Dealer Diagnostic: ENGINE FOUND TICKING NOISE TO BE LOUDEST FROM BANK 2 CYLINDER HEAD. I'm attaching a video i uploaded on YOUTUBE for you to hear the noise when the minivan is in idle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0OUEH-Ebh8&t=1s Thank You

Anthony Torres

Hi Anthony. Thanks for writing in to YourMechanic.com. Based on what you’ve stated above in your question, it is possible that the ticking sound is coming from a loose lifter or valve rocker arm (as the dealership stated in their documentation). However, it is also possible that this ticking noise is coming from that area due to low oil or reduced oil pressure; in some cases caused by excess engine sludge in the oil galley’s. My fear is that if it is an oiling issue, you will most likely be out of pocket to make these repairs. So, this is what I would suggest. First, have your oil and filter changed (even if it’s not due for service yet). If the engine tick goes away, this will verify that it was a lubrication issue and not mechanical. If the tick does not go away, it is more than likely (ALTHOUGH NOT FOR CERTAIN), that the issue is mechanical and SHOULD be covered under your warranty.