Q: Why did my wipers stop working?

asked by on June 27, 2016

I was driving home in heavy rain and stopped at a red light. At the same time my wipers stopped in the middle of the windshield. I could hear the clicking noise of the motor but there was no movement even when manually pushing them back down and flipping the switch to off and back on. Any idea what could be the cause?

Wipers are not working Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello. If you can hear movement from the motor but your wipers are not moving, then it is possible that the wiper linkage or bushings have broken or become damaged. Your vehicle uses a linkage mechanism with bushings that connects the motor to the actual wiper. If the mechanism breaks, or comes loose due to worn bushings, then the wipers will not function properly. I would inspect the wiper linkage mechanism, which would be found underneath the hood.