Q: Heater will not stay hot

asked by on November 21, 2016

My heater blows hard but when I hit a bump it starts blowing cold. When doing the "ignition test" the codes are P0052 and P0032. I checked the antifreeze and topped it off...No codes show when put on the machine at O'Reilly's but yet engine light is on. and sometimes the oil light comes on when cranking it, yet if I turn it off and re-crank it the light goes off but the engine light stays on.

Hello. You are likely facing multiple issues at once. The low coolant would absolutely cause the heater to function intermittently. If you are continuously losing coolant there is likely a leak on the system and it will need to be located and fixed. The heater core takes hot coolant from the engine and passes air over it to heat it before sending it into the cab. If the airflow is being pulled from another source or the coolant is not flowing through the heater core, then you will feel cold air. The codes you are receiving are for issues relating to your oxygen sensors. The signals you are receiving are out of range. Typically on a vehicle as old as yours its simply a bad oxygen sensor. You should replace the sensor(s) that is having issues and test drive to see if the code sets again. Attempt to treat this issues separately at first until you have reason to believe they are related.