Q: How do you use the engine block heater?

asked by on December 15, 2015

How do you use the engine block heater?

If your car is equipped with an engine block heater, it provides you with important benefits for severe cold weather (not all models are equipped with a block heater). The heater keeps the engine coolant warm when the temperature drops below 0 degrees F, ensuring a faster start, as well as helping the heater to start working more quickly. Follow these tips for using your block heater:

• Make sure you use the right extension cord. It should be 16-gauge at a minimum and rated for outdoor use.

• Only use a single extension cord to plug in the heater.

• Connect the heater to the extension cord.

• Leave it connected for a maximum of three hours.

• Make sure to unplug the heater before starting the engine.

• Store the heater connector plug properly.

Tip

Keep the heater connector stored in the sealed cover when you’re not using it.