Q: Car sluggish and hearing noises from engine

asked by on February 06, 2016

My car continued to run sluggish even after a tuneup. It also now makes strange noises from the engine and has a loss of power. Then replaced the alternator, and that didn't work.

Hello. The most common causes of low power and noise on this engine are either a failing catalytic converter, or more commonly, a failing timing chain or variable timing actuator. Both of these are very common problems with this engine. If the noise is a rattling or ticking noise, then expect the timing chain or timing actuator to need replacing. If it is a moaning type of noise or a rattling from under the vehicle, then it may be the converter. A mechanic would need to pinpoint the location of the noise to know where to start looking. If you did not want to tackle this yourself, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to find the issue with your car.