Q: 5r55e transmission issue

Okay so start my truck, put it in drive, I can feel transmission engage, try to accelerate, and you can feel the truck ever so slightly try to move but nothing (this happens with or without overdrive locked out), shift truck to 1st or 2nd and it drives like a dream. Shift from 2nd to drive with overdrive locked out and it drives like a dream (never slips). Turn overdrive back on and the transmission will only slip if I slow down to under 20kmph or if I floor it and try to accelerate hard. Reverse sometimes works but it struggles and needs a lot of throttle to get the truck moving. Parked the truck for a few weeks. Decided to take it out for a drive (truck needed to be boosted because of dead battery) out of habit I shifted to first and 2nd and then to drive with overdrive off after driving for a little bit I decided to try overdrive again and what do you know the truck drives fine. Like brand new! I was still worried so I brought it to transmission shop to have it tested. They ran a diagnostics on it and everything checked out they told me it was possible my fluid was low because or a leak in the pan gasket(I know of the leak and monitor my level, fluid is kept at proper level) Drove it for a week and problem is now back.

2002 Ford ranger xlt 4x4

A: Hello. Transmission shifting problems can ...

Hello. Transmission shifting problems can be caused by a wide variety of issues. A few common causes are issues with the fluid, torque converter. Automatic transmission operate using fluid pressure. If the transmission fluid is dirty or contaminated, or the pressure is compromised, perhaps due to a leak, it can cause the transmission to malfunction. Another possible cause could be with the vehicle’s torque converter, or clutch packs, inside of the transmission. These components are what convert the fluid pressure into torque to propel the vehicle and can cause shifting problems if there is any issues. As these are internal components, the transmission would have to be removed and disassembled to service or replace them. Another possible cause is faulty shift solenoids. The shift solenoids are the components that engage the shift points and gears, if they go out they can cause the transmission to experience shifting problems. I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to diagnose the cause of your transmission shifting issues.