Q: Rattling under the vehicle when placed in gear.

asked by on November 08, 2016

Rattling sound under car when placed in gear.

It seems like the engine/transmission are moving slightly on their mounts or they are touching some other part of the car when you put it in gear. The normal vibration of the engine may also cause a bracket or heat shield to resonate.

In this case, get a helper to put the car in gear while firmly holding down the brakes so that you can try to locate the source of the noise by looking under the hood instead of getting under the car while it is running.

It is recommended that you get a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to perform an inspection and diagnose the cause of the rattling noise under your car.