Q: Coolant temperature overheats when driving

asked by on October 11, 2016

The coolant temperature gauge would continue to rise as I drive. I checked the coolant level and topped it off earlier today, but it's still having the same issue when I drive. No noticeable leaks underneath the engine. I also noticed the radiator fan would typically run for 3-5 minutes after I shut off the car. Any idea what the problem might be? Thanks

Car is overheating Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi, thanks for writing in. This can be caused by a number of things such as low coolant levels, a faulty thermostat, or a failing coolant fan switch. As you may know the coolant fan switch helps to maintain the proper coolant temperature by turning on and off at specific temperature thresholds. When this switch is not working properly, this can cause the fans to come on intermittently, all the time or sometimes not at all. When this happens you will notice a temperature spike and drop occasionally as the fan comes on and off. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.